Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Finances and why all newlyweds need Dave Ramsey

Soo the issue of finances is huge..statistics show that 50% of divorced couples divorce because of finances.See article here http://www.examiner.com/article/finances-remain-leading-cause-of-divorce ..The book of Proverbs says the love of money is the root of all evil and in a marriage it can be the nail in the coffin. I think money says a lot about a lot of things..one thing pastor Selwyn always says is show me your check book and I will show you where you heart is..I am glad money for Dennz and I has never been a mine yours kinda gig. From the get go we knew if this thing was going to worj we would have to pool our (meagre) resources together.I mean the sad truth in America bills need to paid so it gets tricky when you are married and the partnership is still a roomate kind of partnerhship where you take care of the cable and I take care of the gas it makes for an awkward conversation when the heating bill comes and it has doubled. So anyway from the word go we brought it all on the table - literally your people will be my people you debt my debt kind of thing..So I guess the happy ground is finding what works for you as a newlywed couple - what works for one couple may not necessarily work for another couple..
So wha has helped a lot is a referral I got from a good friend of mine Beato - his name is Dave Ramsey. So we are taking a nine week long course on Financial Peace University and it has been life changing so far. I tell you my next wedding gift to a couple is registration for an FPU course.He gives nuggets on so many things on financial decisions - whether as a couple or as an individual I tell you Dave has saved my life...From budgeting, to investing, to cancelling debt this man is phenomenal...I will share little nuggets as we go along but so far the greatest assest has been the budgeting tool.Trust me I come from a background of living for the moment - enjoy now pay later kinda thing and trust me I am a child of my father in this aspect. It has cost us a lot - we had fun we travelled when we were young but heck we are paying later - story for another day...
But the short of the long finances are a huge hurdle in any marriage and I think as soon as they are squared out - yani what is the approach you are going to use to handling finances as a couple - the sooner the better - get it out of the way so you can get on to the more fun stuff - making babies , planning vacations etc..the better...his website is http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu to find a class next to you...




..

No comments:

Post a Comment